Project Minima:

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Back to School Day

What I wore my first day back to college where I teach painting & drawing.
I dressed feet first today.  Why?  Well, just take a look at those awesome shoes I'm wearing.  I upcycled them yesterday.

I have been so craving new shoes lately.  Really massively lusting after them.  So...I went through the back of my closet and found a bunch


of candidates for remodeling. I coated some black Mary Janes with mat fixative first, then sponge-painted them with copper particles suspended in an acrylic base. While it was still wet, I sprayed an oxidizer on which (over the next 1/2 hour) turned the copper that aqua-colored patina it gets when it ages.  So cool.

A look down at my groovy hand-painted copper oxidized shoes

The dress I have on under everything is a navy sheath I made from scratch. The mini sheer dress as top I refashioned a couple times. (click on bold type to see post on that item.) The transparent over jacket was store bought ages ago. You can see a detail of the jewelry I'm wearing below. 3 necklaces, all bought - the scarab from Egypt. And the bracelets I made, except for the obvious one that's my Mom's.

an attempted shot at the jewelry
Scarab necklace I bought in Egypt
all the bracelets I made + the one of  Mom's

I'm participating in:

EBEW - Back To School


10 comments:

  1. Those shoes are seriously awesome! I love your layering and mix of florals and sheer, and also the weight carried by your scarab atop great necklace arrangement, mom's bracelet, and self-made pieces.

    How cool to learn you are a painting / drawing professor - what a perfect match for your creative thinking and incredible range of skills together with your fierce organization. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, oh I love my new old shoes. Hope that takes care of my illicit cravings...
      I teach at one of the city colleges, which means I'm not a professor - I'm an instructor. Although I've been there for nearly 25 years! And it's just 2 classes, but I really enjoy it. I've taught art at universities and grad school before, but the demographics are so diverse at city colleges that it's way cooler.

      Delete
  2. You look funky and cool like an art prof should! Great shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I gotta live up to the expectations of my students, right?!
      I know, I'm like, why didn't I think of that a million years ago?! my shoes, that is.

      Delete
  3. Hi...I just discovered your blog. I LOVE your style. I will be attempting to make the tshirt kimono that you created. two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Blair and have fun playing with the t-shirts, it's an easy one.

      Delete
  4. I love your style, and your blog so very much.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm delighted you visited my blog, Sacramento. Now one of my dreams has come true. You are the queen of styledom.

      Delete
  5. The shoes look amazing. I love them and they really make the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Sharon, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete